Wednesday, June 12, 2013

'tites and 'mites

A few months ago, I had a run where my sewing mojo was seriously messed up... it seemed like every time I worked on something I made mistakes left and right.  One of those mistakes was seriously over cutting triangles for this quilt.  I used a 2" strip off of each triangle to sew a cute scrappy binding, but that still left me a lot of extra, smaller triangles to deal with.

I played around with them for a while and came up with the idea for this quilt:



I'm calling it 'tites and 'mites because it reminds me of stalactites and stalagmites. The back... surprise, surprise, it's the Ikea duvet that just keeps on giving (plus a hanging sleeve for the SCVQA show last month - that is off now):



There was some leftover scrappy binding goodness from the other quilt, and I strategically placed it to give a bit more balance to the quilt.  This quilt is going to my newborn nephew - he's the first boy born in my family after a run of 10 girls in a row. 

4 comments:

  1. All of those straight lines for quilting! Wowza! Good use of scraps!

    Your nephew is already is a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me like you have got your mojo back!
    :-)
    It is wonderful!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like this! It's as if the use of so much negative space makes the colours seem even more colourful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO you know the color name and brand of grey you used on this quilt? I am looking for that shade. I LOVE your quilt, by the way!~

    ReplyDelete